Penrose Studios crafts ground-breaking immersive stories, and needs your help building a platform for this new artistic medium. We need a Surfacer to create the look of our virtual reality stories that immerse viewers in our worlds.
- Develop and implement appearance of the texture, color, and material properties of objects.
- Develop shaders using a wide range of techniques and resources, including 2D / 3D texture painting, procedural signals, reuse and modification of existing shading functions, and the creation of original algorithmic work.
- Able to paint textures in programs like Adobe Photoshop or Substance Painter.
- Work which may be expressed as drawings, paintings, photographs and motion picture references and/or actual reference objects or location.
- Works closely with production designers and directors to iterate on the desired look.
- Maintains asset stability for downstream departments.
- Experience using 3D animation software.
- Must be able to apply UV’s in modelling software packages such as Maya.
- Graphics programming, including: Maya, Houdini, Unreal, Unity.
- Experience writing shaders with any major shading language (osl, rsl, glsl, C++).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Animation or Fine Arts preferred, though not required.
- Work should exhibit a strong emphasis on surface history, demonstrating knowledge of how materials interact, change, and respond to illumination — color, composition, and render quality will also be evaluated.
- Reel should include both turntables and animated shots; material and layer breakdowns a plus. Personal artwork may be included, if relevant.